October 2, 2014

My Legacy.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith"
-2 Timothy 4:7

Do you ever wonder what kind of legacy you are going to leave behind?

When I think of legacies, it brought me to read about the apostle Paul in my bible, and the heart of Paul as he wrote a letter to Timothy. Paul had expanded himself in the service of Christ, and had a sense that he was nearing the end of his life. We know from his other writings in scripture that he was not afraid of death. In fact, he stated that if he were absent from his body, then he would be present with the Lord (1 Corinthians 5:3) Paul knew that the Resurrection had defeated the sting of death, and he couldn't wait to be with his Savior.

What really stuck out to my heart as I studied this today was his simple statements about his legacy of life. He had "fought a good fight", "finished the race" and "kept the faith". I thought about how Paul fought the good fight by standing firm as a spiritual warrior, faithfully defending the Gospel, clothed in the armor of God. I thought about how he finished the race by ensuring he was not disheartened in the marathon of of live and the ministry of Jesus. Most importantly, how he kept the faith, remaining true, commited, and loyal to the One who rescued us all from the darkness.

I came to notice how I loved things that Paul did NOT hint or mention as well. The places he had traveled, the people he had preached to, the letters he wrote, or the churches he flourished. I think he wanted his legacy to be flat out labeled "faithful". I love that; It's what I want to aspire to be as a follower of Jesus.

So today I asked myself, "If that's the legacy I want to leave behind, how will I pursue it today?" I need to put on my full armour of God each morning, I need to run the race, leaving all hinders and sins that entangle me behind. Most importantly, in every situation I want my attitudes, my words, and my actions to be loyal and true to Jesus. 

I am going to work on my legacy one day at a time, one decision at a time. I long to hear the words,
"Well done, my good and faithful servant. Welcome home."

XOXO, Kess

No comments:

Post a Comment