March 26, 2014

A Tour of my Happy Place :)

 Hello lovelies! Today I have composed a detailed tour of my favorite space in my home...my kitchen! There is just such a whimsy, dreamy, light feel of the space, and it shows off my vintage style. I was set on having an aqua/mint kitchen color, despite my husband's shock at the paint chip card, but he shrugged and went with it! (Thank goodness). I have always liked vintage dishware and the 50's housewife look, so that was my inspiration :) I hope you enjoy, and that the little sidenotes on the pictures show you that YOU can decorate on a budget, and DIY a wonderful space. You will be shocked to see the odds and ends on the details, so here we go:
So here's a little overall look into the kitchen. The paint color I chose is by Valspar (which is Lowe's brand of paint) and the color is Aqua Glow. I think it is perfect. Just takes me into the 50's instantly. So let's take a closer look, shall we? The pics are in an order as if you are taking a 360 circle around the kitchen. Let's take a closer look!


This is the wall that my dining table is on. The counter right here faces my living room and front door, which I love. Easy for entertaining and visiting while I am whipping up something good!

Okay, can we just talk about my vintage Cosco high chair? It's easily one of my favorite things about the kitchen. I have always wanted a retro high chair, so I posted a wanted ad on a whim on Craigslist. Sure enough, a kind older woman was getting rid of one, so I drove into look at it and it was only $20. AMAZING! and I love the red and white charm. Most antique stores had some high chairs for $80-$100, so it was quite the steal. 

A closer look at the decor above the high chair. The frames were from a thrifting adventure to Saver's (secondhand store), so I took them home and painted them with leftover paint from the kitchen, and added some leftover fabric behind one, and the other I purchased some lace at Saver's for 69 cents! The hanging tile is another fav, because believe it or not, I went to an antique store for fun and saw this, and the saying says "Bless This Mess". Ahem...my blog name and Facebook page?! Awesome! I sponged paint on the mason jar (leftover paint again) and painted a wooden plaque (got at Micheal's for $4) The flowers are sentimental for me because they are an arrangement Hank got me for our first anniversary, so I thought they'd be pretty to display here. 

LOVE this bright, cheery polka dot tablecloth that I scored at Target for $6! So fun and happy!

Okay, this picture will be a fun one to talk about...simply because all of these decorations were CHEAP. I mean CHEAP CHEAP. The stands, the birds, the white bird vase, egg candles, bird house, and plate were all in the Micheal's clearance section. The prices were between 50cents-$1...woo hoo! Another perk about Micheal's is that they almost always have a 40% off coupon, so I pulled it up on my phone and the clerk scanned my screen at checkout, so I got the dollar ones for 50 cents as well, SCORE! The two mint plates were found at Saver's for 75 cents each, and the little glass bottles were 49cents each. The burlap patterned fabric was actually a single drape, and I scored it at Goodwill for $2.99! I thought it gave a plain little shelf extra character! The owl is actually an old Avon lotion bottle, and he was a whopping $5 at an antique store.

Can I just tell you how much I love Pinterest for printables? Oh.my.gosh. I searched kitchen printables
and found all of these. I love how punny they are ;) The frames were in the $1 bin at Target!

I love my little coffee corner. If you can't tell, I'm totally a coffee girl! Thank goodness my husband doesn't drink it; I have an entire pot and creamer to myself! The mugs were from my mom, who got them at the dollar store to decorate for a table at a church event. I took apart an old rake and washed it to display the mugs. The sign is a birthday gift, gotta love the motto haha!

*Please excuse the clutter on my fridge, but I have lots of odds and ends of artwork. Some from kids I nannied, neighbor kids, and my little sister in law. On top of the fridge are some trays I painted from the youth ranch, and a mint vintage ice box I found thrifting too! I took. The mason jar was a centerpiece from my wedding tables, and the flowers on the cupboard is actually my wedding bouquet...once again, love the sentimental touch!

My favorite part of the kitchen, my Rosie the Riveter metal sign. I have always loved this vintage ad, and it seems ideal to have in the kitchen. Rosie, you remind me when it's time to do dishes, whip up some dinner, and clean house...WE CAN DO IT GIRL! Oh and a girl's gotta have some fun aprons. 

The two circular hangings are vintage lids I found in a free box at a yard sale, and the pictures are prints of vintage photos I like. Who doesn't love that famous Times Square photo?? The bottom pic is of Marilyn Monroe in a Twin Falls potato sack, loved the Idaho touch ;)

My flour and sugar canisters were a bridal shower gift from my mother. I adore the vintage orange daisy timer I found for $7 at a local antique store. It's so cute when it dings when the times run out :)

The birds were also found with the previous bird decor I mentioned on the shelf from Micheals...yes, they were 50cents!! The salt and pepper shakers are from 1963, and I believe they were $3. The bottles were old coca cola bottles I had saved. 

The canisters above my kitchen were also handed down to me. I love vintage labeling, and they are so rusted and charming! The flour sifter is silver with mint stripes, and is holding a bouquet of flowers I received in the hospital delivering Henry. 
My little coffee station. I love the stacked cups, and my vintage tea/lemonade dispenser. I believe it was $2 at a local thrift store.

The little corner nook with vintage odds and ends :)

Another angle into the kitchen.

Alrighty the tour has ended. I just wanted to show you that decorating and thrifting is easy, and FUN! The results are unique and charming in their own way. The key is to check often, and see potential. Some days are good finds, others it's a quick in and out. Know that things can be painted or repurposed to your style, and have fun with it! There is not one way and one way only to do it, just make it your own! 

XOXO, Kess

No comments:

Post a Comment